Chelsea Selectboard Meeting Minutes (Draft)
February 7, 2023
Selectboard present: Kevin Marshia, Vice Chair, Kelly Lyford, Bill Lyon & Leyna Hoyt
Other Employees present: Karen Lathrop, Town Clerk, Gayle Durkee, Treasurer, Marianne
McCann, Town Report, Rick Ackerman, Road Foreman, Kasey Peterson, Grant Writer, John
Parker, Rec Committee, Samantha Allen, Rec Committee
Others present: Chris Belcher, videographer, Jenny Martin, resident
- Call meeting to order – Kevin called the meeting to order at 6:31
- Conflict of interest disclosure – None
- Additions to the agenda –
Organizational vote due to Selectboard resignation
Water/Wastewater Plant Update
Organizational vote- Bill Lyon nominated Kevin Marshia as Chair. No second necessary.
Voted Kevin Marshia as Chair.
Leyna Hoyt nominated Kelly Lyford to Vice Chair. No second necessary. Voted Kelly
Lyford as Vice Chair.
- Public Comments –Jenni Martin discussed the logs sitting at the Heath Field with the Board.
Jennie will contact the logger ( Bob Burke) to have them removed. Bill Lyon to be contact
for Jennie Martin. Timeline to remove logs – 30 days. Logger to clean up the area. Jennie to
contact Bill Lyon.
- Approve Minutes – January 31, 2023 – tabled
- Town Report
a. Selectboard Report- revised by Kevin, with addition of Geoff’s name. Board
discussion with Marianne as to the editing of the Selectboard report. Board chose to
go with a general thank you to everyone instead of naming the many who worked
on behalf of the Town. It was felt that was a more diplomatic way of inclusion.
b. Report Review- Marianne summarized what was being done for the Town Report.
Revisions to be in by Thursday morning. Timeline -Book would be back to Town
around the 20th
. Gayle asked if the picture of Nolan was okay. Board approved.
Gayle and Marianne to put books in mail. Board to help if necessary.
- Rec. Committee – John Parker welcomed the new Selectboad. He brought forth a proposal
for a portable warming shed (8 x12 with window and door) at the ice rink. No heat due to
liability. Zoning permit application submission upon Board approval. John stated that the
prior board approved an 8 ft hoop at the basketball court which will be put in place soon.
Samantha Allen was writing a grant for a pickleball court at the basketball court. Will come
back for Board approval at a future meeting. John seeked information on whether Rick
would continue to mow the rec field. He stated he had done a great job. Kevin stated they
had not had that discussion with Rick yet. Kevin asked if the Rec Committee had any
questions for the Board and said the Board planned to meet all the committees at some
future meetings to touch base and see how they could support them. John reported a box
elder was in need of cutting at the playground/basketball court and Pete Amber would do it.
Rick noted he would be able to help out with that. The Board thanked John for his help with
a. Highway Mileage Certificate – Rick stated no changes. Administratively signed by
b. Class IV Highway Policy- Board discussion on policy. Rick’s thoughts. No work on
any class 4 road for about 15 years and had only been on the Thorne Road once.
Board asked for examples of class 4 roads. Rick pointed out Whitneys, Carpenter
Road section and a few more. Town only responsible for culverts and bridges. Rick
stated it’s all they could do to keep up with Class 2 and 3. Leyna asked about work
done on roads as policy states under supervision of the Road Formann. Discussion
on who maintains the road. Rick stated they probably needed a permit to work in the
Town Right of Way if they plan to have someone fix the road. Rick to call John and
Rella Rice talk about work in the right of way for their use. Board questions which
permit necessary when informed there were two. Karen deferred to Rick. Rick felt
they probably needed both. Rick stated historically he signed off and board signed
off on Access Permits. He stated he was fine with signing access permit for snow
plowing only. Leyna asked why the Board could only work on the policy in only
work in July. Rick did not know but felt revisions were probably necessary. Board
to work with Rick on policy revisions.
Rick gave the Board and update on general highway work and repairs to vehicles.
c. Executive Session – Staffing- Kelly moved to enter into executive session for
Highway staffing at 7:28 pm with Rick, Gayle and Karen invited. Leyna seconded
the motion. Motion passed.
Leyna H. moved to exit executive session with Kelly L seconding the motion.
Action – Leyna H. to work with Rick Ackerman on advertisement for full time
Water/Wastewater – Kevin gave a report to the Board on the Water/Wastewater
plant. It was reported there was a broken gear in a clarifier that has to be replaced.
Mike Whipple said cost unknown yet. Board in favor of approving the cost
necessary to keep the plant going. Rick stated what days Nate worked at the plant.
He is still be accompanied by his wife. Board reiterated that it is a liability issue
for the Town and there must be a Town Employee there. Leyna H. to stop by
tomorrow to speak with Nate.
Sewer Plant Laptop update. Bill reported Systems Plus has a $750 price for laptop.
Gayle stated Caulkins price was higher. Gayle stated IT person said you could just
purchase one from Best Buy. Just has to be reliable for online reporting.
Kevin reported he was in contact with Mr. Merryfield, and he is supportive about
how the Board is dealing with the sewer plant. There were needs identified. More
to come. Simon’s called, a little anxious for town to get someone soon to work at
the plant as they are maxed out.
- Grants – Kasey Peterson
Kasey requested expectations of the Board and prioritization of the many needs for Town
Hall. She noted the Vermont Arts Council accepted her report and grant money should be
dispensed soon for the Pellet Boiler. She noted the RFP for sidewalks needed to go out.
She noted the Town Hall might not be viable space for generator as it has to be kept
historically accurate and no space to put generator on other side of building.
She read off a list of items future concerns for the hall :
Balcony chairs- $55.000 to restore all, $15,000 to restore only broken ones
Water leaking into downstairs dressing room
Sound system for ADA
Lighting has to be historically compatible
Handicap Ramp replacement
Windows – energy efficient
Sprinklers for building
Front Door push button ADA
Fire and Carbon Monoxide detectors
VTRANs Packet for grants in- due 15 Apil
Board discussion on the list and priorities. Marianne noted that the SAM.gov piece has to be
Board tasked Kasey with accessibility and planning grants. Kasey to forward Kevin the
Sidewalk grant info. Leyna H. brought ARPA Grant up and thought to have some smaller
committees on different items for ARPA money. Board thought it was a a good suggestion.
Kevin would like Andy Pomerantz and Chris Bryne come to a meeting. Marianne noted the
Board needed to read the guidelines, as they keep changing.
Creamery issue- three entities-school – Town – Creamery propert owner – drop culvert behind
the creamery. Marianne met with two people from VTRANs and Rick. She gave an explanation
of it and there is a file the board needs to look at There is also map. Kasey will scan and send
maps to Board. Marianne and Kasey briefed the Board on the project. It is at a stand still as of
Kasey noted she worked 12-15 hours a month as grant writer
10.Town Hall Chimney Inspection – February 10 –Kasey reported in order to have the inspection
completed, the pellet furnace would need to be off for 72 hours. Decision was made to push that
out until Spring.
11.Free Verse Farm – Liquor License- Karen submitted the application. Kelly L. moved to
approve the 2 class liquor license with Bill Lyon seconding the motion. Motion passed.
12.Division of Fire Safety – Town Hall Inspection – Kelly reported a walk thru done with
Maurice from Division of Fire Safety, with Karen and Bill and the report has not come in
yet. There are some items that are restrictions and some items for consideration. Push button
access for the front door and electrical panel might be outdated. Might need a new one.
Kasey did report that the electrician that came in for the grants said our electrical wiring is
up to code but agreed the panel might need to be changed out. Karen noted she had call Mr.
Farrell about cleaning the furnaces and was waiting to hear from him.
13.Heath Field – Old Sand Pile Usage – Logs- see under public comments. Bill L. to speak
with the person parking down there.
14.Informational Meeting – Confirm Agenda – Candidates having a chance to speak. Invite
Ronald Johnson and Jesse Kay to speak – budget presentation to update folks who could not
make the meeting and Public Comments.
15.Approve Orders – Kelly L moved to approve orders as presented with Leyna H. seconding
the motion. Motion passed.
16.Executive Session – Personnel – Leyna H. moved to enter executive session for personnel at
8:52 pm inviting Gayle and Karen with Kelly L seconding the motion. Motion passed.
Leyna H. moved to exit executive session at 9:51pm with Bill Lyons seconding the
motion. Motion passed.
Action- Moving forward with the AA staffing and wastewater staffing.
17.Adjourn – Bill L moved to adjourn at 9:54 pm, with Leyna H. seconding the motion.