October 17, 2023, Selectboard Meeting Minutes (draft)
Present- Kelly Lyford, Leyna Hoyt, Bill Lyon, Jesse Kay, Karen Lathrop Rick Ackerman
Others present- Jessica Schmidt. Kezia Frayjo. Tim Carter, Robert Harnish, Mary Ann McCann, Kym Anderson, Norman Cohen.
- Meeting called to order at 6:30 PM by Kelly Lyford, Vice Chair
- Additions to the agenda- Leyna asked that Highways be on the agenda.
Kellsy- budget reminder – Liaisons to contact their departments for budgets.
Kelly – next meeting date – November 7. Board to schedule special meeting if necessary.
Kelly stated Kevin and she to create the job description for Town Administrator position.
Kelly had a question whether Braman Logging contract had been signed. Kelly to follow up on it.
- Conflict of Interest- Bill Lyon recused himself from agenda item 7.
- Public Comments- Kezia Frayjo, Library Trustee Chair, expressed concern that funds from a grant for the library might be lost as they could not access the Unique Entity Identity (UEI) number for the Town. She requested access to the number. Kelly to follow up with the office on October 18. To ensure all persons who need access have it going forward.
- Robert Harnish- Declaration of Inclusion
Mr. Harnish requested the Board support the statewide declaration of inclusion. He reported 126 Towns have supported it as well as VLCT, VRCD and VCC who have endorsed the effort. The concept of inclusion was created in 2020 by the Town of Franklin. Gave a brief history of the concept. The Census shows the State is stagnant and we are losing population. They have invited the Board to become part of the inclusion. Norman Cohen, spoke to the letter. He added Vermont is the second whitest state and the second oldest state in the United States. The State needs more people as there would be a need to replace a retiring workforce. The Governor made a proclamation about the 2nd of May as inclusion week. Tracy Penfield spoke in support of the Declaration as well as Jessie Schmidt and Kym Anderson. They all encouraged the Board to adopt the Declaration as they think it would spark a conversation to break barriers of other races.
Kelly Lyford stated the Declaration should not be a token statement. She thanked those who would be willing to be a part of the conversation and was grateful there were people willing to work on this important discussion. There was a brief discussion on whether to sign it at the meeting. Leyna questioned whether there were enough people living in Town that would want to be a part of the conversation. Jesse to be Liaison for this. The Board chose to look at the wording, for addition of Socio-Economic wording. To be put on the November 7 agenda.
- Culvert Permit – Tim Carter – Kelly asked Rick if he had looked over the site. Rick stated they have, and it was okay. The Ashtons submitted a permit after the agenda was posted, so it will be on the next meeting agenda. Rick had no problem with having a contractor do the work Tim Carter stated he would be paying for it. Leyna moved to approve the work within the right of way /culvert permit for Tim Carter. Jesse Kay Seconded. No discussion. Motion passed.
- Curb Cut Deborah Baker – Bill recused himself. Rick stated it is just past the house. He had no problem with where it was going to be placed. Jesse moved to approve the Access Permit/Curb cut for Deborah Baker. Leyna seconded the motion. No discussion. Motion passed.
- TRORC- Henry Falconer- By-law Modernization Grant- Mr. Falconer brought the resolution for the board to look over. He went over the by-law modernization grant program. TRORC to work with the Planning Commission to revise the by-laws to meet statutory requirements as to work towards more housing. Flood By laws would still be applicable. The Board looked over the scope of the work agreement in the amount of $19,611.00. The local match requirement of 10% which would be waived when by- law was adopted. TRORC paid as the work progresses. Then the state would issue a reimbursement.
Jesse moved to adopt the resolution for the by law modernization grant. Leyna seconded the motion. No discussion. Motion passed.
Mr. Falconer spoke to the wastewater plant grant update. EPA community had not been in touch with him due to the possible government shutdown. The board would need a formal statement of work written. Project itself would need an RFP for the whole scope of work in alignment with the state and federal guidelines. Tom Brown recommended making a broad enough RFP for the scope of work to cover the whole project. Step one, produce prelim report and step two is actual engineering study. Town has $150,00.00 funding for that. If all the entry work is done correctly the Board could then apply for the Construction funds to supplement the grant of $650,000.00. Mr. Falconer to follow up with Kasey about the signed CDS. TRORC to apply for $75,000 -100,000.00 from the state. Would adjust the statement of work to get the work completed.
- Town Plan- Sydny Steinle – Jesse and Kevin gave edits to the Town Plan for Cost Implementations and Jesse to put all the Town Plan Hearing and items on the website. Karen to posted around Town.
- Transfer Station – Jesse brought Kelly up to date on the Transfer Station and put it on Facebook and feedback. She had placed some signs at the Town Hall, Wills and the Transfer Station and asked Darren Marcy to run something in the Herald for the Town. Concerns were convenience of buying, where to buy, legality of charging for recycling. The Town Facebook page was not working, Jesse reached out to Patty. Leyna states a well thought out general response would be help. Bill disagrees. It should just be informational. Discussion on the power point presentation for the next meeting with the residents. Bill reported he had someone look at the compostable toilet. Leyna questioned the cost of maintenance? Bill said around $150.00. Leyna thought it would have to be done quarterly.
- EMS Coordination Study – Kelly was unsure what was being asked of the Board. Bill to what we have for representation at the meeting.
- RFP for Digitalization of Town Records – tabled for the next meeting.
- Approve Minutes 10 October Meeting– Jesse moved to approve October10, 2023 minutes with edits. Leyna seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- Approve Orders 10 October – Jesse stated never made the motion. Jesse moved to approve the order from October 10, 2023. Bill seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- Approve Orders for 17 October – Bill questioned Orange County Sheriff’s Department billing. Leyna noted there are many rolling patrols but not enough information. Board wanted clarification. What does the contract require? Kelly to follow up by getting a copy of the contract. Leyna moved to approve orders excluding the payment of the Orange County Sheriff bill until clarification was received. Jesse seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- Highway addition- Leyna asked for approval for overtime for the road crew during the time they have the excavator. Board discussion on what work was still to be completed. It was noted the Treasurer was notified of the request. The request was for Friday overtime for the three Road Personnel so the excavator would not sit idle a day with so many projects to complete before winter. Concerns about what work would be done on Fridays. Mostly ditching but it was pointed out that if leaves were not blown out of culverts, they would plug culverts come winter. The excavator would not be going over the allowable 40 hours. Most of it would be FEMA project related. Board was okay up to 32 hours of overtime for three road crew members while the excavator was rented. Rick noted Bob Button had offered the use of a tractor to blow out leaves.
Leyna stated Rick, FEMA and herself made a site visit on Edwards Rd on 10.16.2023. The sites on Edwards were measured and would go into FEMA’s report. No idea yet of approval or dollar amount. Two of the sites (4 & 5) were permanent fixes. Sites 3 & 6 Rick could temp fix leaving two sites that would have to wait until next year as they needed engineering studies. There was a discussion of whether to close the road. Leyna stated they had a question in to FEMA as to whether they had to be engineered. There was much discussion about the cost involved in the fixes. Kelly’s concerns were with how to decide with no costs available. Kelly asked if any residents reached out to the Town. Kelly stated how could the Board commit to a fix without understanding the value to our citizens. Discussion on plowing and barriers engineering costs. Jesse asked if they could get an estimate. Rick said he could measure it. Bill would be okay with the temp fix. Rick said he could measure it and come up with a cost. Leyna stated the end game is the road had to be fixed. FEMA can pay for a temp and permanent fix as it is still considered an emergency and they are two different categories. There is no guarantee they will approve any. They just won’t say whether they are approved yet as it is a process, and they won’t give a $ amount. Bill stated realistically, if the Board had to get it engineered it could take a long time to get a fix made. FEMA is an 18-month cycle. Leyna noted the Board was told that FEMA would not pay if it was pre-existing. That was misinformation. FEMA said otherwise. The Town will receive a copy of FEMA’s report. The Road needs to be plowable this winter. Rick & Leyna were in favor of the temp fix for this year. Rick threw out a number ($20,000) plus stone. Leyna stated the Board would have to bid out the two permanent sites (4 & 5) and Rick could do the temp fix (3 & 6) Bill has no problem putting them out to bid because the Town does not have to accept them. Kelly asked if they needed to be done while we had the excavator. Leyna & Rick said yes. Money would have to come from ARPA until FEMA reimbursement. Another $20,000.00 for the permanent fixes. Kelly stated $50,000.00 sounded reasonable. Leyna stated it might be anywhere from $50,000 to$ 60,000 to get the 2 temps and 2 permanent fixes and that leaves the last two sites. Jesse and Bill are okay with this would allow Edwards Road to be open and plowable for winter.
Leyna moved to approve the temporary fix on Edward Road sites 3 & 6 with a value up to $25,000 and permanent fix for sites 4 & 5 to be put out to bid. Jesse seconded the motion. No Discussion. Motion passed.
Leyna to work with Kasey for bid packets. Rick to get volume for Kasey.
- Next Meeting – November 7, 2023, with special meeting as necessary.
- Town Administrator – Kevin and Kelly to put the Town Administrator Job Description. Put on next agenda.
- Executive Session – Executive Session if Necessary – Leyna moved to enter Executive Session at 9:11 pm for Personnel, inviting Karen Lathrop. Jesse seconded the motion. No discussion. Motion passed. Jesse moved to come out of Executive session at 9:15 pm.
Approved payroll hourly for emergency administration coverage.
- Brookfield Annual Contract – Signed Administratively.
- Adjourn- Jesse moved to adjourn. Leyna seconded the motion. Motion passed. Adjourned at 9:17 PM.