Present: Kevin Marshia, Bill Lyon, Leyna Hoyt, Kelly Lyford( virtual), Jesse Kay (virtual).
Others present: Frank Keene, Terry Carty, Bob Brannan, Rosalind Osterbye, Gregg Herrin, Chintana Herrin, Helen Heslop, Bailey Boardman, Becky Hook, Ed Coburn, Tom Stearns, Jackson Howe (WCSD), Jabri Black (WCSD), Ryan Palmer (WCSD) Emily Newman, Carrie Caouette-Delallo, Rick Ackerman, Gayle Durkee.
- Kevin called the meeting to order at 6:32 pm
- No additions to the agenda
- No conflicts of interest
- Public Comments – Kevin read the letter form Mary Ellen Parkman on the job description for the Town Administrator which she thinks borders on Town Manager. Board member Kelly Lyford stated she had responded to the letter and the Board had no intentions of going to a Town Manager style of government and would like to have a conversation about that.
- Kevin introduced the Windsor County Sheriff Ryan Palmer who gave a presentation on his qualifications, how he can help our community, and pro-active policing. He gave a brief overview of what Sheriff’s departments are responsible for. Went over contract and stated WCSD was open to partnering with the school district. He went over stats for Town of Cheslea as of January from January of 2022 to present. Also reiterated that the primary law enforcement for crime is VSP. There was a question and answer period at the end with the community. The Board thanked WCSD for coming to the meeting.
- Highway- Rick gave an update on gravel. He stated he moved about 1500 yards of it to the temporary site, with around 1,000 yards left. There is no luck on new truck info.
- Listers-Kevin read the appeal letter to the Tax Department on the Sale. Board did not understand it and because there was no one present they tabled it to the next meeting.
- Town Treasurer- Line of Credit. Kevin noted that a line of credit is necessary due to how and when we vote our Budget and collect our Taxes. Kelly asked if we would use it by the end of the year. Gayle noted it depends on if we get any FEMA money back, what kind of expenses come up. She noted that the last two years, they have used the AARPA money instead of a line of credit but that it is a normal occurrence for Towns to get a line of credit as Taxes aren’t collected until November. It is really a tax anticipation note. The Town pays it back as soon as possible so they don’t’ pay a lot of interest. Kevin read the Resolution.
Leyna moved to approve the Resolution for the Line of Credit in the amount of $350,000. William Lyon seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
Leyna moved to approve the line of credit in the amount of $350,000 for the year 2024. Bill seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
- Forests and Parks – Susan Elder reported on the Forests and parks and questioned how do they warn their meeting and post minutes. Jesse to post on the website for their meeting and make a page for them. Jesse requested emails if possible for the website and they can decide how to proceed going forward. Susan stated the committee was going to meet on Monday. Kevin requested regular updates to the Board. The Board thanked Susan for the update.
- Development Review Board- Leyna noted we currently do not have a DRB except Johanna Welch and then it falls back onto the Planning Commission, but felt that the Board needs to appoint persons because of projects that might come before the them. William thought that we needed to get something out on social media. Jesse said she could put something on the website. Kelly asked should the interim admin post to it? Jesse stated she would put it out there on the facebook page and website but felt like it should be a Kasey/Karen item.
- Town Report Proof- Kevin noted Kasey sent them the proof, Kasey noticed there was nothing explaining the barn quilt but would have that fixed. Kevin went through it and found nothing major, Gayle stated she had a couple of reports to check but otherwise it was fine. Kelly felt there was not enough time to proof it when it is due on Thursday when we received it on .stated last year, it was hectic but he just read the warning, and looked briefly at the budget. He noted he did not go through this year’s for high ticket items but not for other entities reports. Kelly noted just proofing it. Gregg asked what the repercussions of proofing it. Kevin stated it just gets mailed out with typos. Kevin noted Kasey was just putting it on the agenda so the Board was aware of it, no motion necessary. Kevin to let Kasey know they appreciate her efforts.
- Old Home Days- Kevin read Will Gilman’s letter on Old Home Day. Will stated he would like to put it together for August 3 & 4th and requested use of both commons on that weekend. Kevin noted there is an Old Home Day’s bank account balance of $1,473.00. Gayle stated she would work with Will on the money out of the account.
William moved to approve Will Gilman’s request for an Old Home’s Day on August 3 & 4 and use of the Old Home Day Account of $1,473.00. Leyna seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
- Dubois & King Contract Amendment- Kevin recapped the last meetings discussion on the amended contract with an overage of $3,000.00 Leyna noted that due to sickness she had not gone through everything but did watch the meeting video the Board had with David Conger. Board had a discussion on:
- Differing opinions after having watched the meeting with Dave Conger
- Ownership of the extra $3,000 due to changes in the contract that might have been
misconstrued by all
- Completion of Contract- was a memorandum sent to Town – no known at this time
- Overrun of contract without notification to Town
- Completion of documentation to Dubois & King
- Non signature of original contracted amount
- No help from D & B as to the FEMA eligibility aspect due to the overrun of the contract
Leyna felt the Town should not pay the extra amended amount ( $3000.00). Bill felt they should split the difference which others thought fair due to some miscommunication on both entities parts.
Bill moved to approve the original $10,000 contract and split the difference of the $3,000 amended contract. Jesse seconded the motion. The motion was approved by Kelly, William, and Jesse and opposed by Leyna. Motion passed.
- Approve Minutes 16 January 2024– Leyna moved to approve minutes from January 16, 2024. William seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
- Approve Minutes 23 January 2024 – Leyna moved to approve minutes from January 23, 2024. William seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
- Approve Orders- William moved to approve orders. Leyna seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
- Executive Session – Leyna moved to enter executive session at 8:28 pm. William seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
Leyna moved to exit executive session at 9:04 pm. William seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.
Discussion of personnel as to hiring a new Town Administrator, no action taken.
- Adjourn- Lenya moved to adjourn at 9:06 pm. William seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion passed.